Leicester City hosted Chelsea in the final game of the Premier League season. Leicester came into the game in 9th position and they wanted to win in front of their fans as it was the last game of the season. Chelsea came into this game in 3rd and were going to finish in the top 4 regardless of the result away at Leicester. Sarri rotated the squad heavily after the Europa league semi finals with players like Caballero and Zappacosta getting a rare start for the Blues. Sarri also benched Eden hazard.
The first half was very entertaining as both sides had a couple of chances. Jorginho played a lovely ball into Barkley who was denied by Schmeichel. Towards the end of the first half Higuain missed an absolute sitter to give Chelsea the lead. It was a chance that he should have converted. The HT whistle blew and it was 0-0. The second half was really dull as there were not a lot of chances. Eden Hazard came on for the last 25 minutes, to try and help Chelsea win the game. Tielemans had a great chance towards the end but failed to find the back of the net. The full time whistle blew and the game ended 0-0. Not the best of games but Chelsea finish the season in 3rd position after Spurs drew 2-2 to Everton at home.
- There has been just one goal scored in the last three Premier League meetings between Leicester and Chelsea.
- This was Chelsea’s fourth goalless draw in the Premier League this season, their most since 2013-14 (also four).
- Chelsea won just two of their last nine Premier League away games this season (W2 D2 L5), drawing their last two.
- Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers has faced Chelsea more often than any other Premier League side without winning (nine games – W0 D5 L4).
- Chelsea ended the season in third position, the 13th time in the last 16 seasons they’ve finished in the top three of the Premier League.
- Willy Caballero, aged 37 years and 226 days, became Chelsea’s second oldest Premier League player – only Mark Schwarzer has featured for the Blues at an older age (41y 217d in May 2014).
“I think that we played well at the end. Probably we did not have the right energy, the right physical and mental energy to win the match.
The season was good. We were in trouble two, three months ago but we were able to react very well. In the end, third place is a very good result. We are very tired, we need to rest.
Eden today was tired, of course, he was on the bench. We tried to win the match with him for the last 25 minutes. We know for the fans he is very important. We know Eden has played here at Chelsea for seven seasons; he tried in every match to do his best and now it is time to respect his decision. I hope he will remain with us.”Maurizio Sarri speaking post match
“It was a really, really good game for a 0-0. There were opportunities missed by both teams. You could see there was intent in both teams to win.”Brendan Rodgers speaking post match
Loftus Cheek: 7
What’s next for Chelsea?
With the Premier league coming to an end, Chelsea finish the season in 3rd position. It has not been the best of seasons for Chelsea but they can’t complain about finishing 3rd. Chelsea still have to play a Europa League final on the 29th of May against London rivals Arsenal and it would be a good end to the season for the Blues if they can win a European trophy against their rivals.