Manchester United hosted Chelsea in the Premier League. It was a very crucial game game for both the sides. Both the teams ideally needed to win in order to continue the fight for top 4. Chelsea came into this game off a 2-2 draw with Burnley at home. While Manchester United came into this game after losing 2-0 to their rivals Manchester City. The game ended 1-1.
Juan Mata, former Chelsea player, came back to haunt them and gave United the lead. In the 43rd minute Marcos Alonso stepped up to bring Chelsea level. Rudiger had a shot from distance and De Gea spilled the ball out Alonso was there at the right place at the right time. Chelsea went into half time with their heads held up high.
The second half Chelsea were in control but failed to create any opportunities. United failed to impress in the second half and were not causing any threats to Chelsea. Unfortunately In the 63rd minute, Rudiger came off again after suffering an injury. The season could be done for him by the looks of it. Chelsea had a very good chance to take the lead in the dying minutes of the game but Higuain was denied by De Gea and the points were shared at Old Trafford. It was hard work for both the sides but a draw was a fair result.
“[De Gea’s] been in the spotlight for the right reasons for so long, now he’s going through a period where he probably feels he can do better. No I don’t have worries because he is a strong character.”Ole Gunnar Solskjær post match
“The draw is not so much important for us, because with the 1-1 here we have to win the last two matches, otherwise we are at risk in the goal difference I think.”Maurizio Sarri post match
- De Gea has made three errors leading to goals in his last four games in all competitions – as many as in his previous 123 matches combined.
- Man Utd haven’t won any of their last four games across all competitions (D1 L3) – they haven’t had a longer winless run since December 2015 (eight games).
- Chelsea and Man Utd have drawn both Premier League meetings in a single season for the fifth time, most recently doing so in 2015/16.
- Chelsea are winless in their three games against Man Utd across all competitions this season (D2 L1) – the last time they faced them as many times in a single campaign without a single victory was in 2002-03 (D1 L2).
- Man Utd have kept a clean sheet in just 11 per cent of their league games at Old Trafford this season (2/18), their lowest percentage in a single campaign since 1962/63 (9.5 per cent – 2/21).
Ruben Loftus Cheek: 5
What’s next for Chelsea?
After a hard fought game at Old Trafford, Chelsea walked away with a point courtesy of Marcos Alonso for being there at the right place at the right time. De Gea was at fault again and he might be the reason that Chelsea get top 4. Chelsea currently sit 2 points ahead of Arsenal who suffered a 3-0 defeat to Leicester away from home. In order to get top 4 Chelsea have to win their last two games, against Watford at home and Leicester away. These two games will not be easy by any means and Chelsea have to step it up. Top 4 is in Chelsea’s hand now and they control their destiny. Chelsea will play Frankfurt in the first leg of the Europa League on Thursday and will host Watford at home in last home game of the Premier League season on Sunday.