Chelsea will host Burnley on Monday night in the Premier League. Chelsea are coming back off a 2-0 loss to Liverpool away from home. The loss against Liverpool has dented Chelsea’s chances of finishing in the top 4. There is still a very small chance but results have to go their way and Chelsea have to keep winning all their games in order to get top 4. Chelsea currently sit 5th in the table, level on points with Arsenal. A win would certainly put them back in the top four since Spurs managed to lose to Manchester
City on Saturday.
Chelsea face a Burnley side who currently sit 15th in the table and have confirmed their status as a Premier League team for next season, as they beat Cardiff 2-0 in a game which was very important for both the teams in order to stay in the league. Two goals from Chris wood sealed the three points for the Clarets, as they were very impressive in that game. Burnley have been on a very good run, they have won their last three games and will be very motivated to get a positive result against the Blues come Monday. For Chelsea this game is very important game, because they still have a minor chance of finishing in the top 4. Chelsea fans want too see a reaction from the team after they suffered a 2-0 loss to Liverpool. If Chelsea are not careful, Burnley can certainly punish them.
Burnley hosted Chelsea in early stages of the season. Chelsea came out 4-0 winners at Turf Moor. Alvaro Morata who is not at the club anymore, gave Chelsea the lead in the first 20 minutes of the game. Morata could have easily scored a hat trick in that first half but Joe Hart denied him with two brilliant saves. In the second half Ross Barkley scored a fantastic goal from long range in order to double Chelsea’s lead. Willian also managed to hit the post, but managed to get a goal in 62nd minute of the game. During the dying minutes of the game, Ruben Loftus-Cheek scored and put the icing on the cake to make it 4-0 to the Blues. It was a stunning performance by Chelsea and were 2nd in the league only two points behind Liverpool. Things were looking good for new boss Maurizio Sarri as Chelsea had maintained their unbeaten start to the season.
- Chelsea have won six of their nine Premier League matches against Burnley (D2 L1), though they did lose this exact fixture last season (2-3).
- Burnley have only won one of their last 11 matches away to Chelsea in all competitions (D3 L7), though it was their last such match at Stamford Bridge. The Clarets haven’t won back-to-back matches at Chelsea since December 1961.
- Chelsea have only lost one of their 20 Premier League matches played on a Monday at Stamford Bridge (W15 D4) – a 2-3 defeat to Manchester United on Boxing Day in 1994 under manager Glenn Hoddle.
- None of Burnley’s previous nine Premier League matches played on a Monday have ended in a draw, with the Clarets winning three and losing six of those games.
- Chelsea have lost just one of their last 20 home league games (W12 D7), 0-1 against Leicester in December. No side has conceded fewer home goals in the Premier League this term than the Blues (10, same as Liverpool).
- Burnley have won three consecutive Premier League games for the second time this season, last winning
- more in a row in the competition in April 2018 (a run of five).
Chelsea: Antonio Rudiger will miss the clash against Burnley, but should be available for United next week. Eden Hazard suffered a knock against Prague in the Europa League, but he should be available. Marcos Alonso is also carrying a knock.
Burnley: Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon and Steven Defour are sidelined and making good progress. Phil Bardsley’s fitness will be assessed as Sean Dyche will finalise his squad before the game.
Chelsea: Kepa, Azpilicuetta, Luiz, Christensen, Emerson, Jorginho, Kante, Loftus-Cheek, Willian, Higuain, Hazard.
Burnley: Heaton, Bardsley, Tee, Tarkowski, Taylor, Cork, Westwood, Mcneil, Hendrick, Wood , Barnes.
Chelsea vs Burnley
Monday 22nd April 2019
Kick off: 8pm UK time