Chelsea will host Slavia Prague in the second league of the Europa League. Both teams will give it their all as they would want a place in the semi finals of the competition. Chelsea came out 1-0 winners in the away leg courtesy of Marcos Alonso, who scored a crucial header in dying minutes of the game to give Chelsea the lead. It was a very crucial away goal for Chelsea and were happy after the win even though the performance was very poor by their standards. Slavia Prague were very impressive in the first leg and it was just not their day as they missed a lot of chances during the game. It is a must win for Chelsea, because it seems very unlikely that they will get top 4 this season after their 2-0 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield.
Chelsea have to put all their eggs in one basket and focus on the Europa League in order to get Champions League football next season. This game will not be easy for Chelsea as Slavia Prague will be very motivated to play the mighty Blues and will be hoping to get a positive result in order to get to the semi finals of the Europa league. The winner of this Quarter Finals will either play Frankfurt or Benfica in the next round. Benfica currently are 4-2 up on aggregate will be looking to keep it that way.
- Chelsea’s only previous European meeting with Slavia Prague was their 1-0 first leg victory.
- Slavia Prague are winless in their last eight European meetings with English clubs (W0 D2 L6) since winning 2-1 at home to Leeds in March 2000 in the UEFA Cup.
- Chelsea have won 10 of their 11 Europa League matches this season (W10 D1 L0) – no English side has ever won 11 major European games in a single season (Manchester United in 2002-03/2016-17 and Newcastle in 2004-05 both managed 10 wins).
- Slavia Prague have overturned a first-leg deficit on four of the 12 occasions this has occurred in major European competition, although they have been eliminated on all four occasions they’ve lost the first leg at home.
- Willian has provided seven Europa League assists for Chelsea this season, the joint most in the competition along with BATE Borisov’s Igor Stasevich.
Antonio Rudiger will miss the clash against Slavia Prague after suffering an injury against Liverpool in the Premier League. Gary Cahill will come back into the squad and will be on the bench for Chelsea. When Zola was asked about Rudiger’s injury he said “it looks not as bad as we thought. He is a strong boy and should be back earlier. “He is an important player for us. I saw him improving in many ways, the way he is on the ball and the way he is defending. We alternate the defenders many times, when Christensen plays with Luiz he has done well. “He will be missed but the ones that are playing have done well.”
Kepa; Azpilicueta, Christensen, Luiz, Alonso; Jorginho, Kovacic, Barkley; Pedro, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi
It is easy to say that Chelsea do not need extra motivation in order to turn up tomorrow, because it is very unlikely that they will finish in the top 4 this season. So Chelsea should go all out and finish the job in order to get to the semi finals of the Europa League. Chelsea will be in action on Monday night against Burnley in the Premier League, followed by a trip to Old Trafford the next week. It is very crucial for Chelsea to win this game and I think Chelsea will respond in a good way after losing to Liverpool.
Chelsea 2-0 Salvia Prague.
Chelsea vs Slavia Prague (1-0)
Kick off: 8pm UK time